Date:        20 Feb 2000 12:16:20 +0100
From:      Slawek Zak <S.Zak@altkom.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why should I upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.4

actually more secure than
> > later versions. When the ADMROCKS exploit got out, I discovered that the
> > BIND that shipped with 2.2.8 wasn't susceptible. Systems with newer versions
> > of BIND were.
>
> Yes but BIND 4 has even more security holes than BIND 8.  If I had to
> run 2.2.8 and BIND, I'd install BIND 8 and run it in a jail under a
> non-privileged account.

Noone did serious security audit of BIND 8, so where do you get this
"news" from ?? BIND 4 was audited by the OpenBSD team and is shipped
with OpenBSD. I believe it does proper bound checking at least.

BTW: You can run BIND 4.9.7 as another user in chrooted environment.
--
"To save energy
    the light at the end of the tunnel