Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 22:52:03 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: worm device.

As Fred Cawthorne wrote:

> Is there a block device for the worm device?

Not yet, and unless somebody is going to merge the CD-ROM driver into
the worm driver (or better yet, makes the code shared between both), i
don't see any need for it.

Anyway, this is something of the least priority i think.  Nobody is
going to spend that much money to get an expensive CDROM drive.

I've started to revamp the worm driver today, i hope i'll have
something that would burn me a CD-R without the hackery that is
required now, approximately by the weekend.

I've taken the approach to add a couple of ioctl's, in order to define
disk-wide (actually session-wide) and track-only parameters.  All
these must be issued via the control device.  Once everything has been
set, the driver is ready to have the regular device opened, which will
cause the track to be opened for writing.  All after this is time-
critical, until the close of the regular device, which will issue a
SYNCHRONIZE CACHE, causing the drive to consider the track being
written.  This is the end of the time-critical phase.  After all
tracks have been written, an ioctl must be given to ``fixate'' the
session.

--
cheers, J"org