Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 10:35:29 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to 'watch' an FTP User

> In article <19970603173741.14916@scsn.net>, Donald J. Maddox wrote:
> >     The 'watch' command is very handy for observing what someone logged into
> > your machine is doing, as they do it.  Is there an analogous program for
> > watching what ftp users logged in to the system are doing?  Or, is there a
> > way of using 'watch' for this that I've missed?
>
> I changed the line in /etc/inetd.conf to:
> ftp	stream	tcp	nowait	root	/usr/libexec/ftpd	ftpd -d -l -l
>
> and in /etc/syslog.conf:
> ftp.debug                                       /var/log/ftp
>
> So i can see every 'movement' made by the ftp 'users' - it generates a
> lot of data though, so you shouldn't forget to rotate the logfile every
> once in a while :)

Another way is the tcp-daemon. With this program you can trace connects
for a specific service. In my /etc/inetd.conf the line would look like:

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/tcpd ftpd -d -l -l

Now you can see almost everything what they're doin'.

(You can use tcpd also for telnet, http, rsh etc.)

Bye,
	Udo

--
Udo Wolter, email: uwp@cs.tu-berlin.de