Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 22:50:15 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com (Larry Dolinar)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for SCSI card?

Larry Dolinar stands accused of saying:

> Michael, Michael, if you're going to quote me please quote the whole
> thing.  The comments you attribute to me are actually those of
> Michel Joly de Lotbiniere; that was the reason for the "begin/end
> snip".

*gack* Please accept my humble apologies.  I was somewhere in the middle of
a 600-message backlog, and really wasn't paying enough attention. 8(

> I'll admit the cards may not be the most economical Down Under, but
> speaking from personal experience, the NCR card cost me $125, the

If we are talking US$, a noname NCR-based card should be about $60.

> equivalent Adaptec (software/docs/etc) would be closer to $300.
> Obviously disparities exist, and Adaptec has an overinflated idea of its
> worth in the States.  Perhaps the same is true of NCR in Australia.

IIRC, we were quoted upwards of AUS$400 for the genuine NCR article,
so that would appoear to be the case.  In either situation though, if
price is an issue (as it always is 8( ), it's worth knowing that
the lower-priced card works just as well as the premium article,
providing (as you've observed) that it's supported.

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[