Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2023 10:46:25 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        rick.macklem@gmail.com, Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NFS exports of ZFS snapshots broken

Rick Macklem <rick.macklem_at_gmail.com> wrote on
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 16:09:34 UTC:

> . . .
> I will try and get a test setup going here, which leads me to..
> how do I create a ZFS snapshot? (I do have a simple ZFS pool running
> on a test machine, but I've never done a snapshot.)
> . . .

There is: "man zfs-snapshot" for "zfs snapshot" commands.

I mention this in part because it references also using "zfs promote"
to swap around the status of what is a snapshot vs. what is not.
There is also the man page, accessible via: "man zfs-promote" .=20
man zfs-snapshot also mentions destroying snapshots via "zfs destroy".

The man pages have examples, such as:

   Example 1: Creating a ZFS Snapshot
     The following command creates a snapshot named yesterday.  This =
snapshot
     is mounted on demand in the .zfs/snapshot directory at the root of =
the
     pool/home/bob file system.
           # zfs snapshot pool/home/bob@yesterday

Example 3 involves all 3 operations (snapshot, promote, destroy) that
I've referenced:

   Example 3: Promoting a ZFS Clone
     The following commands illustrate how to test out changes to a file
     system, and then replace the original file system with the changed =
one,
     using clones, clone promotion, and renaming:
           # zfs create pool/project/production
             populate /pool/project/production with data
           # zfs snapshot pool/project/production@today
           # zfs clone pool/project/production@today pool/project/beta
             make changes to /pool/project/beta and test them
           # zfs promote pool/project/beta
           # zfs rename pool/project/production pool/project/legacy
           # zfs rename pool/project/beta pool/project/production
             once the legacy version is no longer needed, it can be =
destroyed
           # zfs destroy pool/project/legacy

The description of "zfs promote" is:

DESCRIPTION
     The zfs promote command makes it possible to destroy the dataset =
that the
     clone was created from.  The clone parent-child dependency =
relationship
     is reversed, so that the origin dataset becomes a clone of the =
specified
     dataset.

     The snapshot that was cloned, and any snapshots previous to this
     snapshot, are now owned by the promoted clone.  The space they use =
moves
     from the origin dataset to the promoted clone, so enough space must =
be
     available to accommodate these snapshots.  No new space is consumed =
by
     this operation, but the space accounting is adjusted.  The promoted =
clone
     must not have any conflicting snapshot names of its own.  The zfs =
rename
     subcommand can be used to rename any conflicting snapshots.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com