Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 2020 09:02:25 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Potential USB3 problems when using UEFi v1.16 to boot RPi4: notes as I explore

This reports on intermediate results of some
4 GiBYte RPi4 use via UWFI based booting.

Extracted from my reply to a different message:

> The following may be a function of the conditions/configuration
> I'm experimenting with. For example over_voltage=6 and
> arm_freq=2000 and it is the 1st time using two USB3 devices (SSD
> and Ethernet): no powered hub involved (yet). I've not investigated
> variations yet. I am using a 5.1V 3.5A power supply. While
> I'm not generally where I can see/use it, an HDMI connection is
> present but nothing is logged in there.
>
> It appears that I get occasional USB SSD data corruption
> during writes: building ports a few later extracts of prior
> ports builds get ". . . from package: Lzma library error:
> Corrupted input data". Out of 419 ports built so far I've
> had 4 such failures (40 other ports skipped). The last port
> (llvm10) is still building and probably has 4 or more hours
> to go.
>
> Possibly going along with that is that, when I try to
> copy a large tar file during the poudriere bulk, the copy
> ends up corrupted (diff/cmp find differences). I've not
> yet tried when the RPi4 was basically idle. Using cmp shows
> that long sequences of bytes are different. Sometimes the
> new copy has large blocks of binary zeros but not always.
> It looks like the blocks might be 4096 in size. (Some bytes
> at the beginning or ends of 4096 might happen to match
> so the size of the mismatch is can be somewhat less than
> 4096.) The alignment of the mismatched blocks also
> stays inside 4096 alignment boundaries, not crossing.
> (I've not seen back-to-back failed blocks yet.) The messed
> up blocks are rare.
>
> The poudriere bulk is using 4 builders, each allowed
> 4 processes. So much of the time there was/is a significant
> load average involved (4+) and there was such when I was
> testing copies.
>
> So far I've not seen variability in the read results of the
> files that were created. It appears to be a write-time
> variability.
>
> Of note:
>
> The USB SSD is the same media also used to boot and
> operate a Rock64. I've not observed any problems in
> that alternate usage context. But I should do more
> explicit checking now.
>
> My testing NetBSD with the built-in Ethernet in use and
> only a USB3 SSD has not suggested problems for the
> over_voltage and arm_freq so far. But I need better
> checking than I did. NetBSD was using the same type of
> USB3 SSD on the same RPi4.

Of the 4 port builds that failed for ". . . from package:
Lzma library error Corrupted input data", only 2 files are
involved. 3 of the 4 failures are attempted extractions
of the same package (llvm80-8.0.1_3) and the same file
fails for each of the 3.

But, more interesting is that, prior to the failures, llvm80
was extracted 3 other times successfully after it was built.
This may be nothing more than in-memory copies of content
still being available at the time. (No USB-read required of
what what ended up being written?)

mesa-libs-19.0.8 , mesa-dri-19.0.8 , and xorg-server-1.20.8_1,1
had no failures. The later xf86-video-scfb-0.0.5_2 ,
xf86-input-libinput-0.30.0 , and xf86-video-vesa-2.4.0_3 had
failures while preparing to build.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com