Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 19:00:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        fritz.heinrichmeyer@fernuni-hagen.de
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: __deregister_frame_info and egcs-1.1.2 and freebsd-3.1

In article <uflnggd4fy.fsf@jfh00.fernuni-hagen.de>,
Fritz Heinrichmeyer  <fritz.heinrichmeyer@fernuni-hagen.de> wrote:

> Some selflinked shared libraries later fail when loading into the
> actual binaries with an undefined symbol
>
> __deregister_frame_info
>
> The symbol is defined in libgcc.a, and requested in libcrtXXS.o but not
> loaded. In the Changelog of egcs i found that it is declared with a
> TARGET_WEAK_ATTRIBUTE. I dont know what this means ..
>
> This happens i.e. with all gnustep stuff.

Make sure use egcs (rather than the system's "cc") to link all the
programs which use the shared libraries.  That will work around this
problem.

Normally it should work anyway.  But there is a dynamic linker bug
that prevents it from working.  I am testing the fix for that now.

John
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong