Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:25:01 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD9 and the sheer number of problem reports

Hello list,

This is NOT a troll.
This is NOT a flame.
Do NOT hijack this thread to troll/flame.

I'm writing this in light of the *many* problem reports I see on the
lists with 9.0-RELEASE.

I'm getting extremely worried here.

Short introduction in order:

See, we use FreeBSD at work for our firewall boxes, running:
- PF + CARP + PFsync
- nagios-nrpe
- munin-node
- bacula client

and either
- nginx and/or haproxy
- relayd

These boxes serve as frontend firewalls for all our projects/products,
including a few high traffic ones.

For example our most traffic intense project has 4 firewalls, 2 each on
2 different datacenters, sharing 4 CARP IPs with automagic failover.

These firewalls total ~200mb/s , serving only minifi'ed javascript pages.

Now, I find the number of problem reports regarding 9.0-RELEASE alarming
and I'm growing more and more fearful towards it.

In the current state of things, I have *absolutely* no wish to run it in
production :(

I'd love to hear feedback.