Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 01:11:54 +0930 (CST)
From:      <benjsc@matrix.levels.unisa.edu.au>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IDE probing

Hi All,
	I have an interesting problem in current. My DVD drive is not
detected using any kernel unless I enter the visual kernel config program.
It is very weird as I must open each section in the config, I don't have
to do anything but as long as each section has been opened, exiting the
config will allow the drive to be detected. If I miss a section, no
detection. 4.2 Has no problems detecting the drive.

The drive is a Toshiba SD2042, and is on a Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop.

I partly believe it may be related to acpi as I get a few "too many
dependant configs" showing at boot time.

What can I enable to help diagnose this problem as I admit the details
here are sketchy. (Will post a kernel -v soon).

Cheers,
	Benjamin