Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 09:10:18 +0200
From:      Joe Gain <joe.gain@gmail.com>
To:        Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: starting xfce4 reboots machine

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com> wrote=
:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>wro=
te:

>> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>wr=
ote:

>>> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrot=
e:

If

>>> thanks. i'll check it out..
>>>
>>> Waitman
>>>

>> spending some time troubleshooting this. it's a weird harold, the machin=
>> runs fine for days doing various things (but if i want X i have to log i=
>> as root first and startx, otherwise instant reboot). I've noticed that i=
f i
>> do a pkg_add the thing reboots, if i run SciTe editor it reboots. like s=
nap
>> of a finger instantly.
>>
>> I can do pkg_delete, i deleted cairo (but it claimed to be 1.10). i'll
>> have to re-add somehow, might have to build from source if it won't stop
>> rebooting :)
>>
>> i'll try the pkg_libchk
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Waitman
>>

> this is kind of strange, ls -l /usr/local/lib | grep cairo - what's up wi=
th
> the zero-byte files.. i did do a pkg_delete but didn't expect to see this=
.

rg"

Can't help with a solution.

I had a very similar problem. I'm following 9.0-STABLE (rev. 235976
ca. week old) using xfce and have a thinkpad laptop with intel
on-board graphics chip. My problems started when I updated the cairo
port, and at the time I couldn't really believe that cairo was the
cause of _the_ problem, because of the way X was crashing. What was
even more frustrating was that the Xorg log file was not revealing
anything other than "unknown error" and segfault. So, I didn't know
what to do for a while, and after spending a couple of days looking
for an answer, downgrading cairo fixed that issue.

Couple of days later the new xfce is also available, and I have had no
problems running it, on stable with downgraded (currently current
again*) cairo. Be sure to read UPDATING with respect to xfce4-utils
etc.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who knows what's going on
as this is the first major hiccup that I've had using freebsd.

Thanks, Joe

* http://www.freshports.org/commit.php?category=3Dgraphics&port=3Dcairo&fil=
es=3Dyes&message_id=3D201205260354.q4Q3sBOI042864@repoman.freebsd.org
--=20