Date:      Thu, 11 May 2006 10:14:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      kama <kama@pvp.se>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   linux_base Gentoo.

Why do we not use gentoo as the default linuxbase?

Its so easy to set up, no dependencies. This is how I install it. (No
port needed)

fetch ftp://mirror.of.choice/pub/os/gentoo/releases/x86/2006.0/stages/stage3-x86-2006.0.tar.bz2

mkdir /compat/linux
cd /compat/linux
tar xjpf /path/to/stage3-x86-2006.0.tar.bz2
cp /etc/resolv.conf etc

Thats it.

After that you can 'chroot /compat/linux /bin/bash' and start using
emerge to install portages. I have not used emerge to compile a new kernel
and world yet. Dont know if I never will need that either. rm
/compat/linux and unpack a newer version of gentoo.

Some things are borken. like, you cant ping from the chrooted env, but
wget works. We really need to get a updated versions of the linux
syscalls. Unfortunately I dont have the knowledge and time to get into
that work. (As most of the peoples)

I have not tested X utils under this emulation since I dont have any
desktops running freebsd.

I have used this setup for quite some time now (a year or so) and use it
when developing linuxbinaries. I also run gameservers with this
installation method.

At least we will get rid of the compatibility problems with binaries not
working anymore on the old linuxbases.

/Bjorn