Date:      Wed, 09 Jul 1997 20:03:44 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building a multiport router out of FreeBSD

At 07:50 AM 7/07/97 -0700, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Mike Tancsa wrote:

<Description of LAN requirements deleted>

>We get wire speed between 4 10Mbit nets using a 486Dx2/66 with NE2000
>clone NICs and 16M of ram, so your solution should do pretty good.

Thank you for your response.  By wire speeds, do you mean you get both good
throughput, and low latency ?  We will be routing approximately 20 CIDRs
right now, with a more in the future..

>At
>this point, the best low-overhead PCI nics are the Intel cards. Avoid 3Com
>as if your job depended on it.

Thanks, I have heard the same thing.  I imagine I will go with the Intel
100Mbps cards for our main backbone.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *