Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 1995 12:14:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        me@gw.muc.ditec.de
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0-RELEASE now available!

> >By two staging all list implementations:
>
> Say, does this look like news or not? Maybe we should actually consider
> using news as the "backbone transport" between the various exploders?
> Locally they then can be sent out to the end users via mail or be kept
> as newsgroups at larger sites (ok, I'm using newsgroups here locally,
> so I'm biased, but then, its so much easier to look through the lists
> if they are a) in separate newsgroups b) subjects are threaded).
>
> This would of course be done by explicit nntp links between e.g. freefall
> and the local exploders, keeping delays down to what we're used from
> mail.

I suggested this many months ago and got thoroughly shot down, people did
not understand the difference between using NNTP as a long haul distribution
protocol (perfectly designed, flood fill algorithm, etc) and using NNTP as a
method to reach the end user.

I would suggest using NNTP strictly as a transport protocol.  Bury the
articles in an encoded format in a moderated newsgroup, so that people don't
try to use the transport newsgroup to read or post messages.  At each hub,
you can install channel feeds for the transport newsgroup that pipe the
articles into an extraction/verification filter.  The filter then turns
around and submits the decoded and verified message into Sendmail (and/or
INN under a different group name).

As manager at a number of major news servers, I can provide some of the
connectivity.

It is really an excellent distribution method, particularly if you run two
or three links to each node...  I'd be willing to work on this IFF there is
any interest in it.

... Joe