Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 11:03:40 -0500
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@skyrunner.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   migrating to new hardware

I'd like to migrate some of my systems to new hardware.

Can I backup my current systems, and just restore them on the new hardware.

Of course this is a really open ended questions.  I realize i'll have to
modify configs for different brands of network cards etc, but say i'm moving
from a single 32 bit pci bus system to a system with multiple 64 bit pci
buses?

In general, what kinds of things will just chime in on the new system, and
what things are going to need kernel modifications (like multi processors
etc).

Is freebsd going to autodetect a lot of things in a new install that would
get left out migrating?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Brezny
Skyrunner.net