Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 08:05:29 -0500
From:      Charlie Root <jfincher@cinci.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't use internet after recompiling kernel

Ok, for some reason unknown to me, I can't recompile a kernel that is
slimed down to only my network card drivers but still uses DHCP to
access the internet.

I'm a relative newcomer to freebsd, so I don't know all that much about
what each individual option in my config files does.

I have a 3com 3c90x (boomerang, XL, whatever you want to call it) using
dhcp to acquire its IP address from my cable provider.  When I recompile

the kernel without most of the extra stuff, it does not run dhcp and
therefore I have no internet (right now I'm booted off the generic
kernel).  I'm using FreeBSD 3.3.

If someone wouldn't mind scanning my config file and telling me what i'm

doing wrong, I would be very happy indeed.  :-)

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I686_CPU"
ident           TWEEDMACHINE
maxusers        64

#options        MATH_EMULATE            #Support for x87 emulation
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep

this!]
options         MFS                     #Memory Filesystem
options         MFS_ROOT                #MFS usable as root device,
"MFS" req'ed
#options        NFS                     #Network Filesystem
#options        NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device,
"NFS" req'ed
#options        MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         "CD9660"                #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         "CD9660_ROOT"           #CD-ROM usable as root. "CD9660"

req'ed
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem
options         "COMPAT_43"             #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
#options        SCSI_DELAY=15000        #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI
device
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console

options         FAILSAFE                #Be conservative
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) syscall trace support

options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores

config          kernel  root on wd0

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor
Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
#options        NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options        NBUS=4                  # number of busses
#options        NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options        NINTR=24                # number of INTs

controller      isa0
controller      pnp0                    # PnP support for ISA
controller      eisa0
controller      pci0

# Floppy drives
controller      fdc0    at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2
disk            fd0     at fdc0 drive 0
disk            fd1     at fdc0 drive 1
# IDE controller and disks
options         "CMD640"        # work around CMD640 chip deficiency
controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1

controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

# ATAPI devices
options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
device          acd0            #IDE CD-ROM
device          wfd0            #IDE Floppy (e.g. LS-120)

# SCSI Controllers
# A single entry for any of these controllers (ncr, ahb, ahc) is
# sufficient for any number of installed devices.
#controller     ncr0            # NCR/Symbios Logic
#controller     ahb0            # EISA AHA1742 family
#controller     ahc0            # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
#controller     amd0            # AMD 53C974 (Teckram DC-390(T))
#controller     isp0            # Qlogic family
#controller     dpt0            # DPT Smartcache - See LINT for options!

#controller     adv0    at isa? port ? cam irq ?
#controller     adw0
#controller     bt0     at isa? port ? cam irq ?
#controller     aha0    at isa? port ? cam irq ?

# SCSI peripherals
# Only one of each of these is needed, they are dynamically allocated.
controller      scbus0          # SCSI bus (required)
device          da0             # Direct Access (disks)
#device         sa0             # Sequential Access (tape etc)
#device         cd0             # CD
#device         pass0           # Passthrough device (direct SCSI)

# Proprietary or custom CD-ROM Interfaces
#device         wt0     at isa? port 0x300 bio irq 5 drq 1
#device         mcd0    at isa? port 0x300 bio irq 10
#device         matcd0  at isa? port 0x230 bio
#device         scd0    at isa? port 0x230 bio

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
controller      atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD tty
device          atkbd0  at isa? tty irq 1
device          psm0    at isa? tty irq 12

device          vga0    at isa? port ? conflicts

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device   splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? tty

# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device         vt0     at isa? tty
#options        XSERVER                 # support for X server
#options        FAT_CURSOR              # start with block cursor
# If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the PCVT

lines
#options        PCVT_SCANSET=2          # IBM keyboards are non-std

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx0    at isa? port IO_NPX irq 13
# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device          apm0    at isa? disable flags 0x31 # Advanced Power
Management

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
#controller     card0
#device         pcic0   at card?
#device         pcic1   at card?

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x10 tty irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3
device          sio2    at isa? disable port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 net irq 7
controller      ppbus0                  # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt0    at ppbus?       # Printer
#device         plip0   at ppbus?       # TCP/IP over parallel
#device         ppi0    at ppbus?       # Parallel port interface device

controller      vpo0    at ppbus?       # Requires scbus and da0

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
device          al0             # ADMtek AL981 (``Comet'')
device          ax0             # ASIX AX88140A
device          de0             # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
device          fxp0            # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557,
82558)
device          mx0             # Macronix 98713/98715/98725 (``PMAC'')
device          pn0             # Lite-On 82c168/82c169 (``PNIC'')
device          rl0             # RealTek 8129/8139
device          sf0             # Adaptec AIC-6915 DuraLAN
(``Starfire'')
device          tl0             # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
device          tx0             # SMC 9432TX (83c170 ``EPIC'')
device          vr0             # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
device          vx0             # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')
device          wb0             # Winbond W89C840F
device          xl0             # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'',
``Cyclone'')

# ISA Ethernet NICs.
# Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
# this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
# Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
# revision 1.20 of this file.
device          ed0     at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
device          ie0     at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000
device          ep0     at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10
device          ex0     at isa? port? net irq?
device          fe0     at isa? port 0x300 net irq ?
device          le0     at isa? port 0x300 net irq 5 iomem 0xd0000
device          lnc0    at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 drq 0
device          cs0     at isa? port 0x300 net irq ?
# requires PCCARD (PCMCIA) support to be
#device         xe0     at isa? port? net irq ?

# PCCARD NIC drivers.
# ze and zp take over the pcic and cannot coexist with generic pccard
# support, nor the ed and ep drivers they replace.
#device         ze0     at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
#device         zp0     at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
pseudo-device   ether           # Ethernet support
pseudo-device   sl      1       # Kernel SLIP
pseudo-device   ppp     1       # Kernel PPP
pseudo-device   tun     1       # Packet tunnel
pseudo-device   pty     16      # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device   gzip            # Exec gzipped a.out's

# The `bpfilter' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
# The number of devices determines the maximum number of
# simultaneous BPF clients programs runnable.
#pseudo-device  bpfilter 1      #Berkeley packet filter

If you got down this far, thank you so very much for doing this.

Jeremy

P.S.  Don't ask about the name  :-)