Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2024 17:15:46 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Heads-up: ifconfig address without a mask/width to become an error

On Mon, 17 Jun 2024 10:54:29 -0400
Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:

> It is currently possible to specify an IPv4 address without a
> netmask/width to ifconfig or in rc.conf, e.g.:
>
>     ifconfig_igb0="192.168.0.2"
>
> phk recently discovered[1] that ifconfig chose a poor netmask/width
> when none was specified. This was not an intentional change in
> defaults but rather a bug that has now been fixed by grembo@, in
> commit 8a9f0fa42b1c and merged to stable/14 in 048ad7a9ef9f. The fix
> will be in FreeBSD 14.2. I am unsure if there will be an EN update for
> 14.0/14.1. The bug does not exist in FreeBSD 13.x.
>
> Specifying an IPv4 address without a mask/width has been deprecated
> since the deprecation of classful addressing. As of FreeBSD 13.1
> ifconfig has emitted a warning when no mask/width is specified, and
> the intent was to make it an error after a sufficient amount of time
> passed.
>
> I've opened a Phabricator review[2] for ifconfig to change the warning
> into an error. I included a link to the review in phk's thread, and
> asked for input on timing for landing the change. As there seems to be
> consensus to include this change in FreeBSD 15.0 I plan to commit it
> soon and am sending this note to increase the visibility of the
> upcoming change.
>
> This will be prominently noted in the 15.0 release notes, and should
> be mentioned in release notes for upcoming 13.x and 14.x releases.
>
> [1]
> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-current/2024-June/006047.html
> [2] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D45585

Hi Ed,

In case there is no EN, what is the process to add information about
issues like this to the release notes? Something like "known issues",
which those of us who read the release notes can stumble over and check?

This would be useful in general, as it seems like doing ENs is a lot of
overhead. Also, if that process would be fast, users would be warned
early - especially in a case like this, where the workaround/long term
fix is actually fairly trivial (add a netmask to your ifconfig_xxx
line).

Best
Michael

--