Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 15:35:57 -0800
From:      Daxbert <daxbert_news@dweebsoft.com>
To:        "" <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>, Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Two nics installed, only one visible

Quoting Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>:

> Intel Pro100S
> 3COM OfficeConnect (3CSOHO100B)
>
> At installation, I had the Intel (fxp0) connected to the switch, and it
> was configured during the sysinstall stage. However, the 3COM nic never
> showed up after installation in dmesg (as far as I can tell, that is):
>
> But the 3COM *is* picked up from scanpci:
>
> pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x0a function 0x00: vendor 0x10b7 device 0x9300
>  3COM  Device unknown
>  CardVendor 0x10b7 card 0x9300 (3COM, Card unknown)
>
> Am I missing something?

It would appear that from /usr/src/sys/pci/if_xlreg.h that the device id 0x9300
is not present.  Because a reference for 0x9300 doesn't exist, you will have an
unknown 'card', and it won't use the driver.

I've never done this... but one option would be to edit if_xlreg.h and *add*
support for your card and recompile and install the new kernel.

The following line exists in /usr/src/sys/pci/if_xlreg.h (RELENG_4_7)

#define TC_DEVICEID_HURRICANE_SOHO100TX         0x7646

maybe you could try changing this to:

#define TC_DEVICEID_HURRICANE_SOHO100TX         0x9300

NOTE: A *proper* solution would be to add a new line to if_xlreg.h and add
support for this new device to if_xl.c.

But for now the 0x9300 hack is worth a shot...

--daxbert