Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 00:09:59 +0000
From:      Darach Ennis <arsenic@iol.ie>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freebsd 2.2.5 - Refuses to install Goddammit.

Hello.

I have been trying for the past 3 hours to get freebsd 2.2.5 to install.
I think it won't recognize my cdrom (although the stupid program is begin
run from that cd-rom... im confused).

Anyway, I dont have a Sony, Panasonic or Matsumi drive, I have a
Toshiba Plug 'n' Play drive. How do i get freebsd to install?

It gives me a 'No CD-ROM devices found' error when i select cdrom as
media to install from.

Also when I try to install to a dos partition, it gives me an error
and states x32bin.whatever not found - error hit esc.

I just want to install it, and get going.  I chose FreeBSD because it
was recommended, I am a veteran UNIX user, but a novice freebsd
install utility user (i did read the docs and the hardware docs).

Everything else is fine.

If i have IRQ/DMA info for the cd-rom, how do i install it.
(Without reusing matsumis or anothers device name, perhaps the utility
should allow the addition of / search for other cd-rom devices).

Anyway I would appreciate any help you can help me. Otherwise I have 2
choices: Use my four freebsd disks as expensive frisbies, or buy a new
cdrom drive.

I hope im not being too much of a bastard about this, its just it took
2 weeks to get the cds from the mail, and i was thinking of buying a
second hand computer to run it off (just testing it on my main machine
at the moment).

All help appreciated with open arms.

My brain is now sufficently /dev/null'ed that i'll have to give up for the night
and try again tommorrow evening.

Oagh well.

Regards,
Darach Ennis.