Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:02:24 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: oops, now: bsd question: how to record a tv stream?

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 03:52:36PM -0500, Joshua Isom wrote:
> Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:52:36 -0500
> From: Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: oops, now: bsd question: how to record a tv stream?
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> On 3/11/2012 3:28 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
> >guys,
> >
> >i made the mistake that conrad did when replying.  i could make e
> >excuse liked only getting five hours sleep, etc, bujt i wont.
> >
> >here us a FBSD qauestion.... how can i capture any tv stream---or
> >radio stream for later replay?  or is that illegal, too?
> >
> >gray
> >

> For capturing, I believe linux is your best bet.  I had tried using
> the bktr driver, but I couldn't get it to work properly with the
> card I had.  It could work somewhat from what I remember.  The card
> was my brother's and he used it under linux, but he upgraded to a
> better one.
>
> Legality should be the same as a VCR/DVR, personal use only and
> don't redistribute.

	if it means buying a card, then, nope.  i  assumed that the
	bits were streaming thu my cable to firefox and that thedre
	was some program that could collecte these data and stash
	them in, say , /tmp.  i'm using linux as a desktop, and FBSD
	as my server.

	maybed i'll find where pbs has these films stashed ... or
	maybe they were only for "pledge week"

	gary

	ps:: fwiw, that capmbell stuff was about half of the
	original.  i've got all 6 hours of audio, tho.