Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 17:39:10 +0400
From:      Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>
To:        Jarrod <hostmaster@mtloftyhistsoc.asn.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@village.org
Subject:   Re: Uncontrolable Rebooting 4.0-R

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 09:47:48AM +0930, Jarrod wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using a 4.0-R base system with IPFIREWALL compiled into the kernel.
> Around every second day, this machine reboots for no reason.  Im not at
> work when the machine reboots or I am and im too late.  No error messages
> appear in /var/log/messages so I cant explain why.  Is there any way of
> dumping messages sent to the console to a /var/log/console file so I can
> flick through it?
>
> On another matter that may or may not be related, when the machine boots
> up, the following appears at the bottom of the screen and dmesg.
>
> ad0: 4125MB <FUJITSU MPC3043AT> [8940/15/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
> ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
> ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
> ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
> ata0-master: WARNING: WAIT_READY active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA
> ata0-master: timeout waiting for command=ef s=00 e=00
> ad0: trying fallback to PIO mode
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
>
> It wasnt properly dismounted as the machine has rebooted thismorning.
> This reboot was quick, printing everything above, on other ocassions the
> 'ad0: READ command timeout - resetting' flashes on the screen 750+ times
> (according to the 'last message repeated xxx times' in /var/log/messages).

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread called
  New kernel with its ATA drivers damages the filesystem

Your case is clearly related to this problem

To the maintainer of /usr/src/UPDATING:
   As far as I know, this problem has not been addressed yet.
   So I wonder, why on the earth /usr/src/UPDATING
   still doesn't have a recommendation to use
      sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio
   at the beginning of /etc/rc and there is
   no warning about the risks related to use the ATA driver
   in such cases?

   I am merely a user. You the core team say the users
   should put their 10 cents or whatever they could to the development.
   My 10 cents was a suggestion we discussed earlier to UPDATING,
   but those are thrown away, as are some of my send-prs
   and even patchs (not related to this problem).
   This is rather frustrating.

As for sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio, I do use
it and live with 4.0 quite happily, but sometimes see
a strange FreeBSD behaviour similar to one described above:
   1) sometimes, after a clean shutdown,
      there is a message
        WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
   2) sometimes, just after the message
      'mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s3a'
      I see '/sbin/iu4yefbkljhf: not found,
      'iu4yefbkljhf' is varying random string.
      The system doesn't go multi-user in such cases.
      Then I turn the machine off and on again,
      and the system boots fine
   I suppose that some nasty things happen to happen
   just after the kernel is booted and
   before sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio
   from /etc/rc is executed, and also
   during the system shutdown.

   They happen seldom, but they do.

--
=== Grigoriy Strokin, Lomonosov University (MGU), Moscow ===
=== contact info: http://isabase.philol.msu.ru/~grg/     ===