Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 00:35:13 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au (David Dawes)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with sio probe and Mach64 PCI video card

David Dawes stands accused of saying:

> I've just installed an ASUS PCI-AV264CT video card, based on the
> Mach64 "CT" chipset, into an ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 motherboard with 90MHz
> Pentium CPU.  I'm planning to do some work on getting Mach64 CT support
> into XFree86.  When I booted FreeBSD 2.1, the screen went blank fairly
> early in the boot probe sequence.  When connected to a DPMS monitor,

This is a known conflict between the sio driver and the Mach64.  It's
due to the fact that, in the presence of four serial ports in the "standard"
PC fashion (sharing IRQ 3&4), it's necessary to write to write to the
fourth port's MCR in order to successfully test interrupts on the second.
With the fourth port at 0x2e8, its MCR is at 0x2ed.

> My guess is that the sio probe is writing to a Mach64 register.  In the
> S3 case it is possilbly successfully restoring it too.  I haven't had
> a chance to look into the sio probe yet though, and would appreciate any
> suggestions as to what might be the cause of this, and how to avoid it
> (other than disabling the serial ports -- a mouse is kind of useful
> when working on an X server).

You can avoid the problem in your case by editing the list of likely
port addresses in the sio driver :

static Port_t likely_com_ports[] = { 0x3f8, 0x2f8, 0x3e8, 0x2e8, };

Remove the entry for 0x2e8.

> The registers listed in the manual for the video card are:
>
> 102, 1ce, 1cf, 2e8, 2ec, 2ed, 2ee, 2ef, 3x4, 3x5, 3x8, 3x9, 3xa, 3xb,
> 3c?, 3dc, and 46e8.  (x=b for mono, x=d for colour).

What a spectacular stuffup on their part 8(  Is there a _reliable_
and safe way to probe for this card?

> As a side note, I tried PCVT (At first I wondered if syscons was causing
> a problem since that was the last message I initally saw flash up before
> the screen disappeared), and noticed that the arrow keys don't work in
> the visual mode of "/kernel -c".

That's because PCVT doesn't support arrow keys in 'dumb console' mode 8(

> David

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[