Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 02:33:00 +0200
From:      Iani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>
To:        kent@iastate.edu
Cc:        Freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hard Drive Question

Kent Vander Velden wrote:

>   Hi.  My current 3.1-Stable machine current has a number of
> SCSI drives on it and no IDE drives.  I now need a cheap source
> of storage that does not need to be high performance.  IDE would
> seem to fill this need nicely if the drives will work with FreeBSD.
>   The system has an Adaptec 2940 UW controller and boots from the
> first SCSI drive.  After adding the IDE drive I still want this
> this behavior.  With a 486 of mine I have been able to do this
> but not entering the hard drive information in the BIOS.
>   The IDE drives that I am interested in are 10+ Gb IBM or
> Seagate drives.  Will FreeBSD support these drives to their
> full capacity and not disturb my current system?

As I know 3.1 supports disks > 8 GB, but I don't know the upper limit :)

>   Having used SCSI for many years I have lost track of the
> state of IDE.  The manual for my motherboard says that it
> supports EIDE modes 0-4.  Nothing about ultra, ata, etc. is
> mentioned.  Does this limit the my choices of drives that
> can be made?

I haven't had such troubles. They must be compatible with the older IDE
controllers, as I know & yours isn't much old.

I tried an IBM 6.x GB IDE disk. It was great - silent & doing about 12MB/s
sequential r/w under FreeBSD.

> While I would like to purchase SCSI drives, my needs do
> not currently require them and the extra expense is hard
> to overlook.  If need be, I can move some of the less used
> data to the IDE drives and the leave the data that is accessed
> most often on the SCSI drives.

Right. IDE drives are perfect for backups ;)
SCSI is for the real work. That's my opinion too.

--iani