Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:41:42 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pull in upstream before 9.1 code freeze?

On 07/05/12 02:03, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 07/05/2012 01:28, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> On 2012-Jul-05 09:22:25 +0200, Jonathan McKeown
>> <j.mckeown@ru.ac.za> wrote:
>>> As for the idea that Linux refugees need extra help to migrate,
>>> that's the sort of thinking that led to things like:
>>>
>>> alias dir=ls
>>
>> Whilst we're on the subject, can we please also have #define BEGIN
>> { #define END } wired into gcc to help people migrating from Algol
>> and Pascal.
>
> Um, this kind of elitist crap really isn't helpful.
>
> If the new feature gets created, and you don't want to use it, turn it
> off. No problem.
>
> I appreciate the people who've spoken up as to why they wouldn't want
> to use it, but I haven't seen anything yet that says "having this
> feature is a universally bad idea."

Why not create a command wtf(1)?

When you type it, it detects the shell you are using, looks at the last
command you typed, and provides all sorts of arbitrarily verbose and
usable documentation and suggestions as to what that command might have
done, what the verbatim command will do, and where you can find more
information.

So a very brief example command flow might be:

   # lsof -p 8646
   lsof: command not found
   # wtf
   I see you just tried to use the command 'lsof'. This command
   is not installed. If you want this command, there is a port for that
   which you can install by doing this (as root):
      cd /usr/ports/sysutils/lsof
      make install

   Alternatively you can type
      man fstat
   for the FreeBSD native equivalent for this functionality.

   Commands which are similar include:
      ls
      lshal
      lsvfs

   For more information on this wtf entry, or to suggest changes
   see this link:

       http://wtf.freebsd.org/command/8/lsof

   If you want to speak to a human who might know, try this mailing
   list:
       freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
   #

I think this might appeal to both camps, and allows people the sublime
pleasure of telling new users to type 'wtf' if they have an issue with a
command.

I'm not married to the name or even the idea. But I'd like to see
someone explain why this isn't a valid solution to both sides. :D
--
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

A solved problem is as useful to the mind
as a broken sword on a battlefield.