Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 14:49:05 -0800
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        tobez@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Perl 5.6.1 in the base....

Isn't it getting close to the time when we should start thinking about
integrating Perl 5.6.1 into the base system?  Since 5.0 has been
pushed back a year, I'm getting antsy to see the upgrade happen sooner
rather than later.  Developing on 5.005_03 and then copying scripts to
a 5.6 box used to work alright, but I recently have been bitten by the
_huge_ difference with mkdir.

In perl 5.005_03:
     mkdir FILENAME,MODE

In perl 5.6.1:
     mkdir FILENAME,MASK
     mkdir FILENAME

Writting a wrapper around this is ugly and shouldn't be necessary.
Perl 5.6 came out two years ago.  Granted it was an abomination of in
terms of backwards compatability, I think that most of the free world
has swallowed their gripes and has moved on.  Can we?

I think we're hard pressed to convince anyone that we're helping out
by hanging onto 5.005_03 in the base.  At this point, I think it'd be
reasonable to make the existing perl install a port and then make perl
5.6 apart of the base.  Right now I can't install Xerxes-P because it
requires the Unicode support found in Perl 5.6.  That's a pretty big
show stopper and the #1 reason why I still have some Solaris boxen
(read: non-FreeBSD) sitting around (can upgrade/thrash the local
install of Perl all I want and it doesn't hurt when it comes time to
upgrade).

Can someone take this issue up on either -core or even here?  I
personally would be an advocate of having _both_ versions of perl
become packages/ports and then at sys-install time you're forced to
choose one of the two versions (need at least one version of perl
installed).  4.5 seems like a good time to get 5.6 out there, IMHO.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden