Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 08:36:06 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        "JL" <jl@burghcom.com>, <cornwall@intelos.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Oracle,

Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> types:
> "JL" <jl@burghcom.com> writes:
> > If you want a reliable and stable SQL server, MySQL runs without linux emu
> > and fits that bill.
> No.  MySQL is a fast-but-not-very-reliable storage manager with an
> SQL-like query and update language.  PostgreSQL, on the other hand, is
> an SQL RDBMS.

I never had much problems with reliability of MySQL, beyond the
problems created by bugs in the code I had to provide to work around
the lack of transactions. That was sufficient to convince me to never
again use an RDBMS that doesn't have transaction support. I've been
told MySQL has since acquired support for transactions, but haven't
checked. If it's still missing referential integrity, I'd still look
elsewhere.

Someone asked me off-list about rdb. It's in the ports. If you've
experience with it, they would probably appreciate a comment. I'd be
interested in reading any comments you have as well.

	Thanx,
	<mike