Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 15:31:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   EIDE vs. SCSI

I'm NOT trying to start a SCSI vs. EIDE war here.

I need to put together a low cost but fast pentium 166 freebsd machine.
The box will be used for mail server, dns server, web server, and ftp
server -- all which is fairly low volume (our inet connection is only
56k). This server will be sitting on the ethernet only and will not be
dialed into directly (we have a nailed 56k conenction via a dedicated
router).

My question is this: most mother boards have a built in EIDE controller
and IDE drivers are much cheaper then SCSI. What is the approx
performance hit buy using EIDE instead of Wide SCSI for a FreeBSD system?
I need to put this system together as cheap and possible but I need it as
fast as possible. I am shooting for a 166mhz pentium with 64meg of ram
and a eide/scsi 2 gig drive.

One last thing, is there support for IDE CD-ROM in 2.1.5-RELEASE?

Thanks,
Kory