Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2006 10:35:18 -0700
From:      David King <dking@ketralnis.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quiet computer

>>> How successfully does it meet your requirements for a quiet system?
> ...and performance? (i.e., `ubench`) :) Also, just curious... can you
> test the speed of crypto? Yes, want to gape at some large numbers ;)

I'll try to do a ubench tonight.

I'd love to test the speed of the crypto, but I'm not exactly sure
how, nor even test if it's actually being used e.g. by openssl. All
I've confirmed is whether /dev/crypto exists :) I'd like to make sure
that at the very least, Apache from ports, and OpenSSH and OpenSSL in
the base system are using it, and ideally that OpenSSL from ports is
using it too. I'm working on getting IPsec up and running, and I have
FAST_IPSEC in the kernel, so it *should* use it, but again, I can't
think of an easy way to confirm this other than watching the device
node for opens/reads/writes

> You might wants to consider using a low-power 'brick'-type AC->DC
> PSU (~90W?) and a DC-DC voltage converter that plugs directly into
> a mainboard's power connector. This will be quite noiseless.

Do you have any recommendations? Ideally it would mount on the case
(<http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/134>) like
the current power supply does but I'm open to other options