Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:41:11 -0500
From:      Peeter Pirn <peeter@rhubarb.fwi.com>
To:        Gao Tu <gaotu@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hp pavilion 8562 PC

I installed FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE months ago on a HP Pavilion 6350 with no
hassles. I used the following resources:

instructions on FreeBSD web site
mfsroot.flp floppy (floppy image downloaded from Internet)
kern.flp floppy (floppy image downloaded from Internet)
3Com  3C905B-TX PCI NIC
ADSL connection

The install occurred via FTP and went beautifully.

Up to this point, I've had to rebuild the kernel twice: once to enable
ipfw and the second time to activate X windows support. X windows works
fine with the video hardware (Sis) on the Pavilion 6350.

Printing to an HP DeskJet 500C through the parallel port works
beautifully with apsfilter software. I am in the process of connecting
multiple terminals to the machine through a Cyclades-8Yo+ ISA card.
Apache, Sendmail (will likely switch to Postfix or Qmail), Netscape
Navigator 3.04, Lynx, Mutt, Ghostview and Adobe Acrobat all run well. I
did encounter a problem compiling PostGreSQL, however, but I'm sure that
the issue can be resolved.

I am very happy with this FreeBSD machine.

Peeter Pirn - peeter@rhubarb.fwi.com