Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2015 01:07:12 -0800
From:      zx zx <zhangxia3@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   About Filesystem freeze/thaw in freebsd

 Hi=2C               I am experimenting to do a live backup of FreeBSD VM. =
Question is do we have freeze/thaw interfaces in FreeBSD? I searched a lot =
in web and freebsd source code=2C just could not find the right interface. =
              As I know that in linux:VxFS provides ioctl interfaces to app=
lication programs to freeze and thaw VxFS file systems. The interfaces are =
VX_FREEZE=2C VX_FREEZE_ALL=2C and VX_THAW.About Freeze and thaw Freezing a =
file system temporarily blocks all I/O operations to a file system and then=
 performs a sync on the file system. Current operations are completed and t=
he file system is synchronized to disk. Freezing a file system is a necessa=
ry step for obtaining a stable and consistent image of the file system at t=
he volume level. Consistent volume-level file system images can be obtained=
 and used with a file system snapshot tool. The freeze operation flushes al=
l buffers and pages in the file system cache that contain dirty metadata an=
d user data. The operation then suspends any new activity on the file syste=
m until the file system is thawed.             Any help would be appreciate=
d=2C thanks a lot!  Andy Zhang 		 	   		  =