Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2022 00:50:50 -0700
From:      "Pat Maddox" <pat@patmaddox.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for making private packages?

On 12 Apr 2022, at 0:19, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2022 23:58:05 -0700
> "Pat Maddox" <pat@patmaddox.com> wrote:
>
>> We are considering using FreeBSD to deploy the proprietary software
>> we
>> build.
>>
>> I am interested in using the package system to build and distribute
>> the
>> software to our servers. I believe this will help us maintain
>> consistency and cleanliness.
>>
>> Right now I have a few ideas of how to do this:
>>
>> 1. Fork the ports tree, and add a directory for our software. Build
>> as
>> usual.
>
> 	In a software development environment this is the way to go, you
> get flexibility and control along with standardisation and familiar
> tools
> that are easy to integrate with anything else you choose to use. I've
> used
> this approach with great success.
>
>> 2. Use portshaker to overlay our software onto the ports tree.
>
> 	This is a powerful ports tree mix and match system that's overkill
> for what you seem to want and well stocked with foot shooting
> opportunities. I'd reserve it for jobs nothing else will handle.
>
>> 3. Use pkg-create directly.
>
> 	Masochism IMHO, goferit if you enjoy it.

Thanks for that, it’s super helpful.

My one concern with forking the ports tree was how to handle frequent
updates. We’ll build the package multiple times per day, and deploy
them to our demo environment.

pkg-create at first seemed like a more straightforward way to automate
it. But when I compare “the way to go” and “masochism”, I’m
not so sure :)

Have you set up a build server that automates the port definition after
commits? It looks to me like there are three main pieces: 1) Bump the
DISTVERSION 2) update pkg-plist 3) make makesum. Is that about it?

Pat