Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 16:28:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange mail(1) behavior

The problem is fixed, thanks to everybody responded.
It's all about "metoo" option for the mail(1).

I didn't expect mail(1) to do alias expansion on its own.
I thought it was done by mail.local, which in its turn was reading
sendmail.cf

Also, the man page for mail(1) is somewhat confusing:
     metoo   Usually, when a group is expanded that contains the sender, the
             sender is removed from the expansion.  Setting this option causes
             the sender to be included in the group.
I read it several times before, and was sure it was only about a
group alias set for mail(1) in .mailrc
It also seems to me that there was some change (in sendmail bandled
with 3.x and later 4.x) in the way local mail is handled,
but I might be wrong on that.

Igor