Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2011 20:55:11 -0500
From:      "Michael Jung" <mikej@paymentallianceintl.com>
To:        "John Baldwin" <jhb@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: unknown mtx_assert at /usr/src/sys/x86/x86/io_apic.c:161

John:

Thanks, I actually didn=B9t see the MCA errors on the screen as the =
system has
reloaded but noted them in the ddb.txt file last night.

The Motherboard, CPU, Memory and PS were replaced today.  I=B9ll post =
back if
this has or not corrected the problem but I suspect you are on target in
that the hardware was defective.  This machine was remote and I found =
the
fan in the power supply not working, so I=B9m suspecting that the CPU =
was or
other logic was damaged.

Thanks for your reply.

--mikej

On 1/14/11 4:13 PM, "John Baldwin" <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:26:46 am Michael Jung wrote:
>> > Links to crash info below.
>> > http://216.26.153.6/msgbuf.txt
>=20
> This might be a hardware problem.  The panic you got is a "should =
never
> happen" panic.  Note that in the code line sourced, the second =
argument to
> mtx_assert() is MA_OWNED.  The panic is saying that it is some invalid =
value
> (i.e. something other than MA_OWNED).  Given that is a constant, =
that's not
> very likely at all barring some hardware glitch.
>=20
> You do have a somewhat scary looking machine check logged before your =
panic:
>=20
> MCA: Bank 1, Status 0xd000000000000171
> MCA: Global Cap 0x0000000000000105, Status 0x0000000000000000
> MCA: Vendor "AuthenticAMD", ID 0x20fc2, APIC ID 0
> MCA: CPU 0 COR OVER ICACHE L1 EVICT error
>=20
> It is a correctable error, but given the nature of the panic I'd =
suspect a
> hardware problem.
>=20
> mcelog doesn't provide many more details:
>=20
> HARDWARE ERROR. This is *NOT* a software problem!
> Please contact your hardware vendor
> CPU 0 1 instruction cache
>        bit62 =3D error overflow (multiple errors)
>   memory/cache error 'evict mem transaction, instruction transaction, =
level 1'
> STATUS d000000000000171 MCGSTATUS 0
> MCGCAP 105 APICID 0 SOCKETID 0
> CPUID Vendor AMD Family 15 Model 44
>=20
> --
> John Baldwin
>=20

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This message is intended only for the use
of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain=20
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from=20
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is=20
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any=20
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication=20
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission=20
in error, please notify us by telephone at (502) 212-4001 or=20
notify us at PAI , Dept. 99, 11857 Commonwealth Drive,=20
Louisville, KY  40299.  Thank you.