Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2017 15:08:12 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: poudriere's -x (build_native_tools) vs. use of "-m null" : how to enable it

On 2017-Aug-29, at 2:38 PM, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 8/29/2017 2:35 PM, Mark Millard wrote:
>> In a command command such as:
>>=20
>> poudriere jail -c -j zrFBSDx64SLppc64 -a powerpc.powerpc64 -x -m null =
-M =
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-powerpc64-altbinutils-installworld-dist-from-src =
-S /usr/src/ -v 11.1-STABLE
>>=20
>> the -x is silently ignored. I added the "build_native_xtools" into
>> the /usr/local/share/poudriere/jail.sh code to have it contain:
>=20
> I consider '-m null' to be a read-only operation on the provided path.
> Poudriere did not build it, so I would rather not force a build
> procedure on it for native-xtools either.
>=20
> On the otherhand, if we store the native-xtools files outside of the
> jail path then it will not be a problem.

Okay. I was just looking for a way to deal with local
experimental patches in the system and/or ports rather
than building from official materials, checking how
things seem to go for builds.

I ended up with the following nxb* directories in
/usr/obj/. . . for my context:

/usr/obj/powerpc.powerpc/nxb
/usr/obj/arm.armv6/nxb
/usr/obj/arm64.aarch64/nxb
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-armv7-installworld-dist-from-src/nxb-bin
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-cortexA53-installworld-dist-from-src/nxb-bin
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/gcc421-powerpc-installworld-dist-from-src/nxb-bin
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-powerpc-installworld-dist-from-src/nxb-bin
=
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-powerpc64-altbinutils-installworld-dist-from-src/n=
xb-bin
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-cortexA57-installworld-dist-from-src/nxb-bin
/usr/obj/powerpc.powerpc64/nxb

However, for example, I did the powerpc ones in
the order (as an experiment that I did not expect
to "work"):

/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-powerpc-installworld-dist-from-src/nxb-bin
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/gcc421-powerpc-installworld-dist-from-src/nxb-bin

and the second reused the material from the first -x . In other
words: the native compiler ended up being based on clang for the
later gcc421 based jail attempt.

A similar point goes for the pair (in order):

/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-cortexA53-installworld-dist-from-src/nxb-bin
/usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-cortexA57-installworld-dist-from-src/nxb-bin

in that the A57 one bound to the prior A53 -x content.

I'm not claiming a problem, just something to know to
expect to avoid. (My 32-bit powerpc activity has lead
to building things based on both compilers because of
the kernel build only working for gcc421-based builds.
Such odd combinations are likely rare.)

>>=20
>>        null)
>>                JAILFS=3Dnone
>>                FCT=3Dbuild_native_xtools
>>                ;;
>>=20
>> in order to avoid this.
>>=20
>> A similar "jail -c" for "-j zrFBSDx64SLarmv7 -a arm.armv6" (and
>> -M /usr/obj/DESTDIRs/clang-armv7-installworld-dist-from-src=20
>> in my context) and the later bulk build for it seems to be
>> working fine for building lang/gcc7 (as a test). So far:
. . .

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net