Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:23:39 -0700
From:      Brandon Fosdick <brandon.h.fosdick@lmco.com>
To:        Mark.Andrews@isc.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftp/fetch "command not understood" on stable and current

Mark.Andrews@isc.org wrote:
>>Why does it say "command not understood"?
>

> 	Look at both sides of the ftp transaction.
>
> 	e.g.
> 		"ftp -d"

It seems to be entering passive mode despite the fact that
FTP_MASSIVE_MODE=NO and the non-understood commands appear to be FEAT
and EPSV, but that doesn't tell me anything.

14:19 bfoz@svlw3380c0m~>ftp -d
ftp> o ftp.freebsd.org
Trying 2001:4f8:0:2::e...
Trying 204.152.184.73...
Connected to ftp.freebsd.org.
220 freebsd.isc.org FTP server ready.
ftp_login: user `<null>' pass `<null>' host `ftp.freebsd.org'
Name (ftp.freebsd.org:bfoz): anonymous
---> USER anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
---> PASS XXXX
230-
230-You have reached freebsd.isc.org/ftp.freebsd.org.
230-
230-<insert some funky ASCII art here>
230-
230-This server is operated by Internet Software Consortium (ISC),
230-on behalf of the FreeBSD Project, and is serving the full
230-FreeBSD FTP archive via IPv4 and IPv6.
230-
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
---> SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8 Version: BSD-199506
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
---> FEAT
500 command not understood
features[0] = 0
features[1] = -1
features[2] = -1
features[3] = -1
features[4] = -1
features[5] = -1
---> PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
got remotepwd as `/'
ftp> ls
---> EPSV
500 command not understood
disabling epsv4 for this connection
---> PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (204,152,184,73,148,128)
---> PORT 129,197,81,219,192,86
200 PORT command successful.
---> LIST
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for directory listing.
total 8
drwxrwxr-x   3 root     root          512 Apr 17  2003 pub
226 Transfer complete.
ftp>