Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2012 05:25:26 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: seems i cannot fully understand {/,/usr/local/}/etc/rc.d/*

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:51:04 +0200 (CEST)
Wojciech Puchar articulated:

> > Create a new file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/precedence with the
> > following contents:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > #
> > # Persuade vboxheadless to start before samba.
> >
> > # PROVIDE: precedence
> > # REQUIRE: vboxheadless
> > # BEFORE: samba
> >
> > :
> >
> > Make it executable.  Note -- the ':' does seem to be necessary.
> >
> thank you for help. I will test it when being on place and could
> reboot.
>
> But still - do you know why it is necessary?
>
> cannot i just add BEFORE: samba in vboxheadless?

I had a similar problem about two years ago. One program required
program "X" to load prior to it while program "Y" wanted to load it
after it. It was causing a conflict. It is slightly difficult to explain
in a few words. I had to manually check every file in
the /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory to straighten it out. I believe that
there is a way to have all of that information displayed without going
through that much intervention; however, I do not remember how to do it
at the moment.

Anyway, in the "samba" file, it has this notation:

	# PROVIDE: nmbd smbd

I don't know if that makes any difference or not. I have never had to
move the starting order of samba around. I do know that in other
applications, they appear to have their name in the "PROVIDE" line. For
example, from the Postfix script:

	# PROVIDE: postfix mail

--
Jerry ♔