Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:38:46 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Greg Smith <freebsd_mail@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Oliver Fischer <nexus@fileseeker.net>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, roam@orbitel.bg
Subject:   Re: Hibernation on FreeBSD

--UfEAyuTBtIjiZzX6

guys, i think you are talking about different things here:

1) suspend-to-disk by bios functions:
    - needs own partition or contiguous file in (fat) partition
    - suspend is serviced by the bios (?)
    - wakeup is directly supported by the bios

2) hibernate support in w2k
    - does not need anything except w2k installed on a sane partition
    - works only in w2k
    - suspend is done via mem/reg dump in the w2k kernel to a specific
      file on the w2k boot partition
    - wakeup is supported by w2k's bootloader which does not use bios
      calls or whatever, but reads the mem image, sets up all the
      protected mode structures and just starts execution where it
      trapstopped where it was told to hibernate
    - this is rather a debugger feature ;-)

some generic ideas on portable hibernate support:
- one could use the swap partition (it is used for crashdumps anyway, if
  you enabled them)
- this could be implemented in ddb, since it already writes core files
  to the swap partition
- resume support has to be built into the bootloader which has to load
  the ram core from the swap partition, set up all structures and start
  it

peter p: this could be somewhate related with your ideas on what-to-do
with corefiles, too -- thus a cc: to you ;-)

ideas? comments?

/k
   =20
Greg Smith(freebsd_mail@yahoo.com)@2001.07.02 00:51:25 +0000:
> Oliver,
>=20
> I'm not sure I understand your response, but hopefully this will help.
>=20
> On my TP600 the hibernation file is a file within the FAT partition of
> Win95.  The BIOS can find this file if I suspend to disk from Win95 or
> from FreeBSD.  Under either operating system, I press Fn-F12 and the
> system suspends to disk.
>=20
> see http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/PFAN-3VXSNV.html
> [which says you need a fat16 or fat32 partition, not just ntfs]
>=20
> Did you search your harddrive for the file ps2.exe?  It is possible
> that it is there, but not in your path.  On my TP600 the file was at
> c:\thinkpad\ps2.exe.
>=20
> see http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/RMIE-3AXE3E.html
> [which has the ps2.exe install download]
>=20
> IBM ThinkPads have good support at www.pc.ibm.com, including a fine
> search facility.  Check it out.
>=20
> On the other hand, I should point out that FreeBSD's apm -z (or zzz)
> only suspends to RAM.  That's why I use the Fn-F12 combination.  Don't
> let that discourage you, unless IBM removed the ability to suspend to
> disk from the keyboard on your T20.
>=20
> Greg
>=20

--=20
> If you meet somebody who tells you that he loves you more than anybody
> in the whole wide world, don't trust him.  It means he experiments.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--UfEAyuTBtIjiZzX6

--UfEAyuTBtIjiZzX6--