Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:39:46 +0200
From:      Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MCLinker and llvm-config

Hi Dimitry,

Den 24/07/2012 kl. 11.15 skrev Dimitry Andric:

> On 2012-07-24 11:02, Erik Cederstrand wrote:
>> I'm creating a FreeBSD port for MCLinker =
(http://code.google.com/p/mclinker/) in preparation of MCLinker working =
without patching LLVM, and testing MCLinker as a system linker when it =
gets far enough.
>>=20
>> In the configure stage, MCLinker needs to run llvm-config, which is =
not installed by default in FreeBSD, even when WITH_CLANG_EXTRAS is set. =
What is the best option to get llvm-config on my system? Can I just run =
make && make install somewhere in /usr/src?
>=20
> I never added the tool to the tree, because I simply didn't think
> anybody would need to ever run this (IMO not very useful) tool.  =
(Since
> the configuration is totally static, there's no need to dynamically =
run
> a tool such as this to get at the configuration details.)

Ok. I might be able to hard-code this in the configure script. It just =
needs the output of the --version, --cflags and --cxxflags options.

> It isn't too hard to re-add it to the tree though, and add it to the
> WITH_CLANG_EXTRAS case.  Another possibility is to just install the
> lang/clang or lang/clang-devel port.

I'll try this first. Thanks.

> Btw, does MCLinker want to use LLVM as a shared library, by any =
chance?
> If that is the case, you should definitely use the port, as adding the
> shared library to the system is something I still need to implement.

I'm not sure. I've never actually used MCLinker. First step is to create =
the port so I can easily install it :-)

Btw, do you guys have any plans for a GNU ld replacement? Progress on =
the more "official" lld (http://lld.llvm.org/) seems slow, and MCLinker =
more promising. Hence my feeble attempts :-)

Thanks,
Erik=