Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 1997 17:44:21 +0800
From:      "Francis Percival C. Favoreal" <dune@skyinet.net>
To:        Steve Milliner <steve@icis.qut.edu.au>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: packet counting

Steve Milliner wrote:

> "netstat -bins"    gives me basically what I need
>                    (I'm assuming here that I == in & O == out)

That's affirmative.

> It would be nice to distinguish between mail/http/telnet/etc
> traffic though...

Well for this one, I can suggest using ipfw with the approriate rules to match the
ports, source, and destination of each packet that passes by the server.

> - by the way, I don't suppose you know how to re-set the netstat
> counters by any chance ?

I know there is a way to do this but I cannot seem to remember it now :-) My suggestion
is, maybe, these counters can be reset using a command "sysctl" which can manipulate
kernel variables that I hope includes the interface counters.

However,  I do know that in ipfw, you could reset the counters for which again I am not
sure wether counters for each rule or all the rules would be zeroed out once a reset is
issued.

I hope this helps.

--
rick