Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:18:34 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pyglet segfaults on FreeBSD 8.0/amd64/nVidia

Giuseppe Pagnoni wrote:

> Hello,
>
> First of all, let me apologize for the re- and cross-posting , but
> after a couple of weeks scouring the web and forums to no avail, I
> thought I would try again and query the FreeBSD mother source...
>
> I installed pyglet from the ports (latest version as of yesterday,
> py26-pyglet-1.1.2_1) on a FreeBSD 8.0 amd64 box, running the latest
> version of the ports' nvidia driver (nvidia-driver-195.36.15).  I
> found that I cannot use either font.Text or text.label without causing
> segfaults.  Here is some sample code that makes python crash:
>
> ----- SNIPPET 1
> import pyglet
> luxi = pyglet.font.load('Luxi Sans', 14)
> -------  > SEGMENTATION FAULT
>
> ----- SNIPPET 2
> import pyglet
> window = pyglet.window.Window()
> label = pyglet.text.Label('Hello, world',
>    font_name='Luxi Sans',
>    font_size=36,
>    x=window.width//2,
>    y=window.height//2,
>    anchor_x='center',
>    anchor_y='center')
> -------  > SEGMENTATION FAULT
>
> It seems that the problem arises already at the stage of font loading.
> I am not at all a python expert, perhaps somebody can suggest a
> way to narrow down the problem?

I'm not a coder, but possibly this may help:

http://pyglet.org/doc/api/index.html

Then look at pyglet.font and pyglet.font.base for example purposes.

> Here is some more information on my system reported by a routine
> included in a python package (PsychoPy) I am trying to use:
>
> System info:
> FreeBSD-8.0-RELEASE-p2-amd64-64bit-ELF
>
> Python info
> /usr/local/bin/python
> 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Mar 23 2010, 15:20:14)
> [GCC 4.2.1 20070719  [FreeBSD]]
> numpy 1.4.0
> scipy 0.7.1
> matplotlib 0.99.1
> pyglet 1.1.2
> PsychoPy 1.60.03
>
> OpenGL info:
> vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
> rendering engine: GeForce 9500 GT/PCI/SSE2
> OpenGL version: 3.2.0 NVIDIA 195.36.15
> (Selected) Extensions:
>        True GL_ARB_multitexture
>        True GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
>        True GL_ARB_fragment_program
>        True GL_ARB_shader_objects
>        True GL_ARB_vertex_shader
>        True GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two
>        True GL_ARB_texture_float

To drive a wedge you might consider as an experiment temporarily replacing
the Nvidia driver in xorg.cong with the nv driver. If same problem, it may
be confirming the problem is not an interaction with a video display driver
but rather the Python coding itself. Notice the different approach in the
doc example(s).

I'm not really a coder and don't know a whole lot about Python, but since
this seems to have been a problem to you for a while now I thought maybe I'd
toss out my ideas. YMMV  :-)

-Mike