Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 19:00:00 -1000
From:      Matt Rohrer <rohrer@hawaii.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR

Hello all,

I just upgraded my home workstation to 4.0-STABLE (sources 'suped
30 April). The new ad driver seems to not like my HD or
configuration; whenever the HD is being accessed heavily, I get the
following error:

ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# (someblock#) retrying

I get this error on 4.0-RELEASE and -STABLE, with or without the
ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA option in the kernel. From the archives, it seems
that others have had similar problems, but I found no answers.

Hardware:
FIC SD11 mobo
Athlon 500
Maxtor 7200rpm 13.6gig UDMA 66 HD
128M RAM

Any ideas on how to make this error disappear? I suppose I could go
back to the wd driver, but I'd rather have the DMA performance. Let me
know if you need further info. Thanks.

-- Matt --