Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 14:56:51 +0900
From:      "Rachmat Hidajat" <rachmat@canada.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Building kernel error

Hi All!
I am very new to the FreeBSD world. Two days ago I installed
FreeBSD(98) 4.1.1 RELEASE on a NEC PC98. The reason why I
choose FreeBSD is because I want to share one (static) IP in
several computers and FreeBSD seems to be the only UNIX-like
OS which can be installed on NEC PC98 series. Now I am still
struggling how to make it works as IP gateway. It is suggested to
use natd or ipnat, but both methods need to recompile the kernel.
So, I tried to add the "options" in GENERIC98 kernel source and
build the new kernel with make "buildkernel
KERNEL=MYKERNEL" as written in the handbook. The process
looked fine until it hit some errors and stopped. Here are the few
last lines:
/tmp/ccpG4231.s:2491: Error: Substraction of two symbols in
different sections " IdlePTD" {.data section} - "KERNBASE" {*UND
section} at file address 1669.
/tmp/ccpG4231.s:2494: Error: Substraction of two symbols in
different sections " IdlePTD" {.data section} - "KERNBASE" {*UND
section} at file address 1668.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
#

How to overcome this problem or is there any other suggestion for
IP masquerading?
Any help and suggestion would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Rachmat Hidajat <rachmat@canada.com>
Kobe, JAPAN
ICQ# 48201914