Date:      Sun, 7 Aug 2016 10:07:26 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <doug@mail.sermon-archive.info>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need advice for setting up mail server

> On 7 August 2016, at 09:49, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org> =
wrote:
>=20
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 09:25:06 -0700
> Doug Hardie <doug@sermon-archive.info> wrote:
>=20
>> I found it best to use dovecot's MDA from postfix so that pigeon =
sieve
>> could be used during delivery.  That gives you features like vacation =
and
>> automatic delivery to inboxes other than INBOX.  I did the initial =
setup
>> one step at a time.  Get it working then add the next feature.
>=20
> 	Hmm that's interesting I used procmail for that which involves
> fiddling with procmailrc which is fine for me but less so for others. =
Is it
> easy for users to set up the automatic delivery ?

I found the sieve language a bit confusing at first.  It took a few =
tries to get one to compile without errors.  One of the more interesting =
aspects is that the sieve is not compiled when you save it.  It is =
compiled when the next message is processed.  It will generate a log =
file if an error is found.  The error messages are actually helpful.  =
There is a way to manually force the compile, but I never can remember =
it.  I just send myself an email so I don't have to wait to find out if =
the change was proper.  Using the web interface might make it easier.  I =
have never bothered to install it to find out.  Currently I am the only =
one using that feature and vi is just fine for me.  If one of the others =
starts using it though I'll probably have to try that.

I believe that freebsd 11 has two different sieve implementations =
available for the dovecot MDA.  I started this server on freebsd 9.3 and =
it had only pigeonhole (I got the name wrong earlier).  I am in the =
midst of upgrading the machine to 11 so haven't investigated the other =
implementation.  I'll probably stick with pigeonhole as its working.