Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:12:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-security@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: apache security question

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Gerhard Sittig wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 21:22 +0200, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:
> > why? for a web-only server? *grin*
> > the only service that listens is httpd on tcp port 80, for
> > severe network scanning and synflood handling consult the
> > blackhole(4) man page.
>
> Consulting the "man 4 blackhole" output was exactly what I did
> lately when the TCP_RESTRICT_RST setting became obsolete.  Your
> statement made me curious, because I remembered the WARNING
> section:

In actuality, using TCP_RESTICT_RST, blackhole, or ipfw isn't really going
to help you weather an attack any better than doing nothing; the built-in
ratelimiting features handle this already.

restrict_rst and blackhole can, at best, frustrate people probing your
network, but little more.  ipfw could protect other hosts if we're talking
about a router, but can't help a FreeBSD box it's running on much.*

So... don't worry about it.  (Or filter upstream if you are being attacked
and are forced to worry about it.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack

* Some attack tools have recognizeable signatures, you could block those
with ipfw.