Date:      Tue, 12 Apr 2022 09:29:33 +0100
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        "Pat Maddox" <pat@patmaddox.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for making private packages?

On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 00:50:50 -0700
"Pat Maddox" <pat@patmaddox.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that, it’s super helpful.
>
> My one concern with forking the ports tree was how to handle frequent
> updates. We’ll build the package multiple times per day, and deploy
> them to our demo environment.

	Jenkins and poudriere is the way I'd go - this is a good starting
point.

https://dnaeon.github.io/jenkins-package-building-freebsd/

> pkg-create at first seemed like a more straightforward way to automate
> it. But when I compare “the way to go” and “masochism”, I’m
> not so sure :)

	You get a lot of heavy lifting for free with the ports.

> Have you set up a build server that automates the port definition after
> commits? It looks to me like there are three main pieces: 1) Bump the
> DISTVERSION 2) update pkg-plist 3) make makesum. Is that about it?

	DISTVERSION I always committed as the control point. For internal
development defining NO_CHECKSUM saves bothering with make makesum and
automating plist generation (as in x11-themes/chicago95/Makefile or python
autoplist if you're using python) removes a bunch of error prone manual
work. There are other equally good approaches.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>