Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 1995 19:01:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com (Frank Durda IV)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re: I/O port 0 == autoconfig? - RESULTS

Frank Durda IV stands accused of saying:
> This is a config file change ONLY and should be done in sync with
> Mikes change above.
>
> (3) If Mike can't come through with a scheme, a Plan B will be needed,
> such as documenting that you can't change settings for some devices
> in "visual".  Yuck.
>
> Ok, if the comment and/or suggestion is technical and not religious,
> reply now!

I think it's obvious that, for now, '-2' has to be it.  I can't say that
it makes for much sense, but until we go to the three-stage boot
it's the least awful option 8)

Speaking of the three-stage boot stuff, I'd like to hear from some/anyone
that has a set of screen, serial and disk libraries that interact directly
with the BIOS in the state that it's in when the bootsector is loaded.

This is a really serious issue that _nobody_ appears to be doing anything
about, and it worries me.

(Yes, I suspect I'm biting off more than I can chew.  How else am I supposed
to cultivate an ulcer?)

> Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"Nobody cares how neat your

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[