Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 2012 13:16:07 -0500
From:      David Jackson <djackson452@gmail.com>
To:        Bernt Hansson <bah@bananmonarki.se>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to upgrade packages on FreeBSD

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Bernt Hansson <bah@bananmonarki.se> wrote:

> 2012-01-30 18:52, David Jackson skrev:
>
>  I have tried endlessly to no avail to upgrade binary the packages on
>> Freebsd to the latest version. I have tried:
>>
>> *portupgrade -PP -a
>> *portmaster -PP -a
>> *pkg_update
>>
>> All fail miserably and totally and have left the system in an unuseable
>> state.
>>

> What is the error message?

They seem to have failed because they couldn't find the package on the
download site. Other errors I got were that the package it had downloaded
had an "unrecognized format".

I did not save them, there is really no way to save a copy of them unless I
copy them by hand. I will have to rerun the commands to get the error
messages and then transfer them by hand.

>  Why can't FreeBSD just make the package system "just work".
>>

> It's already "just works"

It does for you. I've had big problems with it.