Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 22:51:47 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Prefetch Mode... (was: VIA crashes)

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 01:16:32PM -0800, Matthew Dillon stood up and spoke:
>     I'm CCing Soren to make sure he sees this.
>
>     This is good news!

It indeed is! However, I'm doing some more testing before I say that
disabling IDE Prefetch along with using Soren's 686B patch is the ultimate
solution.

Whatever the low-level technical reason for the problem is, it is highly
strange. It's not really random, but it either *doesn't happen, or it will
happen at a *definite*, predictable point. I could verify this both for the
NFS crash you were looking at as well as with today's crash.

As I have said on multiple purposes, I guess my mainboard's BIOS is a
little more messed up than what is supposed to be standard ;-) This can
also be seen by the fact that I need to put some light load on my hard disk
in order to get an acceptably smoothly-moving picture from my TV capture
card (though Soren's fix has acceptably fixed this problem by now, which I
really appreciate!)

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany