Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:50:50 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plugin status

Mike Gratton writes:
 > Joe Kelsey wrote:
 > > nspr=NetScape mumble, mumble...essentially the netscape standard calling
 > > sequences...
 > Close. 8)
 >
 > It's the NetScape Portable Runtime - it is effectively an OS abstraction
 > layer; it provides thrading, file and network IO, memory management,
 > etc. More detail here: <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/nspr/index.html>;

Thanks for the info.  I can never remember what the pr stands for...

 > I don't see why it would need to be distributed with the JDK, however. I
 > can't see it being a build-depends and given it is a run-depends for
 > Mozilla, there's already a copy on the system that you're trying to use
 > it on.

It is not used for the JDK!  It is used for the plugin to mozilla!  All
plugins have to use nspr to communicate with the browser!

The problem with leaving the RUN_DEPENDS on mozilla is that people who
are interested in Java may not necessarily have mozilla installed.
-lnspr4 is only used to create the OJI version of the plugin, which
depends on Netscape 6.x or Mozilla whatever.

My point about shipping libnspr4.so as part of the port is that Sun
ships various binary objects as part of the JDK for building on
Solaris/sparc.  You can find the glib, gmodule, gdk and gtk libraries in
ext/plugin/build/solaris/, for instance, and the various nsprblah
libraries in ext/plugin/oji-plugin/motif/solaris/sparc/.  In order to
separate us from the hugeness that is mozilla, we can either depend on
mozilla-embedded to get a slightly smaller dependency or else simply
include libnspr4.so in the port directly.

Is it clearer now?

/Joe