Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 08:48:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        eT <edebruin@iname.com>
Cc:        Hackers FreeBSD <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: config -g KERNEL

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, eT wrote:

> greets...
>
> i am doing some kernel debugging and tracing and have suddently received a
> message when the kernel boots about there being too many symbols and that
> there is some kindof BIOS limit?
>
> C:2048>1023 (bios limit)

This hasn't anything to do with symbols, I think.  The most notorious
bios limit at 1023 is the number of cylinders allowed for in specifying
a bootable partition.  If your bootable partition *begins* at a cylinder
that's greater than 1023, the BIOS only has 10 bits to describe that,
and it's going to fail to locate the boot cylinder you want.

This hasn't anything to do with any os at all (FreeBSD being an OS, but
this would affect Windows just the same way).  Look at your partition
layout, have you changed something?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).