Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2001 19:38:30 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        "Scott Reese" <sreese@codysbooks.com>
Cc:        "Nick Rogness" <nick@rogness.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd[135]:failed to write packet back

"Scott Reese" writes:

> I don't think it's a Windows thing because the other machines on the network
> are off-line when the errors pop up (one is a Win2K box and the other is Mac
> laptop).  They always show up at the same time every night:  one at 3:07 AM
> and another at 3:09 AM.  This happens whether or not the other computers are
> actually on.  So, I'm not sure what the source/destination is and I guess
> that's really what I'm trying to find out.  Any ideas?

If you have ipfw logging enabled try to correlate the /var/log/message
error with one in /var/log/security. The problem is a packet was given
to natd via divert but the re-written packet is denied by a firewall
rule.

Manually debug by manually adding from the keyboard "ipfw add NNNN log
deny ..." cloned rules in front of your non-logging deny rules.
Liberally probe the status with "ipfw -a list" and reset the counts
with "ipfw zero".

IMHO natd should be more verbose about the problem packet.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net